The traditional marketing model was successful for many years. This model included the yellow pages, radio advertising, TV commercials, direct mail, ads in magazines and newspapers, and much more. Now, the method in which businesses both large and small relay a message to the public is much different. Now, the model consists of search engine marketing in order to achieve top results on search engines such as Google. In addition, social media is becoming a primary method to reach a large audience because it’s faster and free. This has practically made the traditional model nonexistent. It has now reached a point in which only 14% of individuals trust the ads that they see and 76% are looking toward customer recommendations, which comes mainly from online.
Using social media to market products and services is what is called a Web 2.0 strategy. Search engine optimization is very effective, and some of the other traditional online methods are also still effective, social networking is proving to be an invaluable tool. Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, Yelp, and a variety of others allow local businesses to touch base with their existing customers and tell potential customers who they are and what they are all about. The main feature of these Web 2.0 platforms is the ability to engage in two-way communication, which is something that was not before possible with traditional methods.
Basically, social networks have provided businesses with the ability to get out their messages in completely different ways. It’s in real-time rather than having to wait for that ad to come out or the commercial to air.
Here are some of the benefits of SMM:
• Increases customer base: The networking possibilities are endless and this is very important when working to make an impression on the masses. Existing customers can remain connected and new customers can be acquired.
• Word of mouth: When using social networking, fans can promote products and services by sharing what the business posts on their own pages. This makes it very important for all interaction to be valuable.
• Raising brand awareness: Customers won’t know about the business unless they see something about it. Social networking allows for a lot of exposure.
• Retain current customers: Being able to communicate with customers makes it possible to keep them. Networks such as Facebook allow plenty of interaction with customers, including existing ones. Such platforms also make for ideal places to hear what customers have to say and turn their wants into reality.
• Fast results: There is no waiting around for ad publishing or commercial airings. Everything posted is real-time, making it seen by the business’s fan base immediately.
So why are more businesses not using social networks to market themselves?
More businesses aren’t utilizing this amazing way to market because they simply don’t know where to start. There are several options available and they include:
Hire someone– If the business has the funds and the space to hire an employee, that works fine. There is a lot of time involved in social networking. Pages have to be monitored often with frequent status updates occurring.
Do it yourself– Again, there is a lot of time involved. If you have the time, then you can take on the task yourself.
Outsource– There are companies (like Fall River Internet) that specialize in helping businesses with their social networking. The reason is because of the time and the effort that is involved. Companies that specialize in these practices have streamlined methods that enable them to manage the many companies that they work for without neglecting a single promotional activity.
Utilizing social networking to market products and services is becoming the primary way in which businesses reach a large audience. However, there is a lot of time and effort that goes into such practices and hiring someone can be expensive. To utilize an affordable way to market through social networks, let Fall River Internet help by calling 508-415-8648 for a free consultation and evaluation of current search engine marketing efforts or to get you started toward reaching a larger audience.